The pleasures of Provence – no passport required
From July 9th to July 15th, savor a special Provençal menu and aperitifs served up by 10 of NYC’s favorite French restaurants. Tap your feet to festive French tunes bands will pop up at participating spots all week. Scoop up swag bags stocked with soap, sunglasses, lavender, and more…
How Bastille Day stormed Brooklyn?
Interview with Georges FORGEOIS, co-creator of Provence Bastille Days
In 2001, when community leader Bette Stolz asked Georges Forgeois, Bar Tabac’s owner, to help her throw a Bastille Day party, he replied, “Oui, but only if we put pétanque courts on Smith Street.” She assumed the city would never permit a major street closure, but Georges insisted. “You have to be crazy in life,” he smiled.
The enigmatic Frenchman was more than right. The block party has been a hit for 17 years—over 20,000 attend! When asked how this Bastille Day differs from his hometown, St.-Rémy-de-Provence, Georges explains, “Here, it’s quite powerful.” It’s a way for him and fellow français to “remember where they came from.” And to connect to their adopted city by sharing this treasured tradition.
PROVENÇAL WEEK FROM JULY 9TH TO JULY 15TH
Provence takes center stage with traidtional food and drinks, live music with the group “Incognitos” and surprise gifts at Provençal week’s partner restaurant. Voilà! Here’s where you can get your Provence on :
- Mominette: 221 Knickerbocker Ave, Brooklyn
- Le Gamin: 108 Franklin St, Brooklyn
- Nice Matin: The Lucerne Hotel 201 W 79th St
- Café du soleil: 2723 Broadway
- Chez Oskar: 310 Malcolm X Blvd, Brooklyn
- Santos Anne: 3438, 366 Union Ave, Brooklyn
- Marseille: 630 9th Ave
- O Cabanon: 245 W 29th St
- Felix: 340 W Broadway
- La Defense: 2 MetroTech Center, Brooklyn
Bastille Day, the Brooklyn way
For our grand finale on Sunday, July 15th, Brooklyn’s Smith Street will be transformed into the sun-kissed south of France. The pavement will be covered in sand pétanque courts, glasses will be filled with rosé, and plates will be topped with tasty bites from Bar Tabac. Part convivial street party, part pétanque tournament, the fun festivities will go all day from noon to 10 pm.
The Provence booth will be transformed into a Provençal market. Join us for:
- A soap manufacturing workshop with Musama – The “Savon de Marseilles” Museum
- Live painting of famous French painters like Van Gogh, Cézanne, Monet…
- Southern swag – free lavender sachets !
- An exhibition of the famous Eboy Pixel Art – The Giant Eboy puzzle! Add your piece to the Marseille Eboy puzzle and get a Marseilles Eboy’s poster !
- Contest: make your Provence dream trip a reality – enter to win 2 tickets to Marseille with Air Canada and a 200€ voucher for a shopping experience at McArthurGlen Provence!
Provence Bastille day highlights
- Witness one of North America’s largest pétanque tournaments up close
- Sip red, white, and rosé wines to the beat of French bands.
- Snack on fabulous French fare including crepes, Bien Cuit croissants, and Bar Tabac steak frites.
- Taste pissaladière and other regional delights at the Provençal tent
- Fans of “le football” can watch the World Cup finals on outdoor TVs